As we head into the holiday season we want to thank you all for the opportunity to work on some really wonderful projects again this year.
Here are some tips to help you have a safe and happy time during the holidays.
Lights and Candles
- Inspect holiday lights before decorating and discard any old or damaged ones.
- When using extension cords for lights use ones that are made for the job.
- While they can add a warmth that modern light does not, candles will need to be kept in proper holders. Make sure they are on sturdy surfaces and away from children and pets.
- Make sure that you have checked your smoke alarms to see that they are working.
- It is a good time to double check that your carbon monoxide detector is still tracking the air quality in your home.
- The Vancouver Fire Department recommends changing any alarms that are 10 years old and older.
- Fireplaces are especially treasured features in a home this time of year. Before you start using your fireplace, check that the chimney flue is open and clean.
- If you have a space heater don’t plug it into an extension cord, instead, plug it into a wall. Keep at least one metre or three feet of space between the heater and other objects.