When building a home or planning a renovation, most people take the traditional path - first hire an architect or designer to design, then an engineer to plan, and finally, hire contractors to complete the build. This method can often lead to issues and delays as each entity is a different party. When a problem arises, it takes multiple parties to resolve the issue and can result in the project running over budget, creating added stress for the homeowner. This is why more and more people are discovering that design-build firms are the better path to take when building or renovating a home.
So what exactly is a design-build firm? Put quite simply, a design-build firm is a one-stop-shop; a single company that you hire to design as well as complete the construction of your project. The design-build method has really begun to pick up momentum in recent years as many people see that they are saving time, money and hassle by hiring a single company for all of their needs.
Some of the benefits of hiring a design-build company are:
- Eliminates the Bidding Process and Multiple Contracts - This can be a real time-saving benefit for the homeowner as you do not need to shop around to multiple contractors to complete the work. The design-build firm oversees all aspects of the design, engineering and construction process. So you only need to hire one company and they take care of everything, including hiring reliable trades and creating an efficient and effective workflow.
- Project Accountability - Often during traditional builds, when something goes wrong. one person points the finger at the other. This can end up costing you more time and money to fix the issues. With a design-build firm, one single entity is accountable for the project and everyone works together as a cohesive team.
- Team Efficiency - When working with a design-build company, things tend to go much smoother because you are hiring a team that works efficiently together and already has established processes. For example, the team building the project will be familiar with the design before they begin work and this can help iron out any kinks in advance.
- Quicker Completion of the Project - In a high-demand market like Vancouver, builders’ schedules can be quite full. This can leave your new home build or renovation on hold, even after the architect completes the plans. With design-build firms, the wait times are much less for the construction to begin. This is because the project is put on the firm’s construction schedule as soon as the design process begins.
- Quality of the Finished Project - When a single firm is responsible for the overall quality of the finished project, attention and resources are focused on cost-effective solutions that reflect the best value and quality for the design.
Do you have a construction or renovation project in mind? Do you want to make your living space work better for your family? Are you planning a new build? George Martin of Well Balanced Designs is one of Vancouver’s leading Design-Build experts, with over 46 years of experience in construction and renovations. He is familiar with Vancouver’s building types and materials, from laneway homes and Yaletown condos to Westside single-family homes and larger homes on the North Shore. Schedule a call with George today to discuss your needs.